Curriculum for this 1/2 day advanced flow course covers these topics:
I. General Introduction outlining the issues that need to be confronted.
II. Problems associated with complex multicellular tissues.
- · Production of single cell suspensions, or
- · Production and analysis of homogenates.
III. Dealing with large objects.
- · General introduction to sorting theory.
- · How to use conventional instruments with large particles.
- Specialized instruments — the Union Biometrica COPAS and BioSort.
IV. Dealing with small objects.
- · Bacteria and smaller life forms, as analyzed using conventional sorters.
- · Biosafety issues.
V. Analyzing homogenates and complex mixtures
- · Aquatic samples.
VI. Case studies: working with model organisms.
- · Yeast.
- · Drosophila
- · Other insects
- · Your favorite organism (general discussion).
VII. Case studies: Working with non-model and otherwise unusual organisms.